Two UNR professors earned over $1,000,000 apiece last year, new data shows
- Tuesday, March 21, 2017
For Immediate Release
Contact: Robert Fellner, 702-222-0642
Two University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) professors received compensation packages of more than $1,000,000 each, according to newly released 2016 pay data from TransparentNevada.com.
The $1,040,001 and $1,024,513 compensation packages received by Professor Kayvan Khiabani and Michael Scheidler, respectively, were the largest of the more than 130,000 state and local Nevada government workers surveyed.
Excluding the University and hospital systems, the largest Northern Nevada compensation package went to former Reno city manager Andrew Clinger, with severance pay boosting his total pay and benefits to $430,625.
After Clinger, the next highest compensated Northern Nevada government workers were:
- Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority President/CEO Marily Mora: $391,918.
- Washoe County School District superintendent Traci Davis: $360,057.
- Reno fire battalion chief Stephen Leighton: $352,857.
- Washoe County chief medical examiner Ellen Clark: $340,151.
- Washoe County manager John Slaughter: $325,520.
- Regional Transportation Commission of Washoe County executive director Lee Gibson: $322,510.
- Washoe County deputy chief medical examiner Laura Knight: $311,203.
- Washoe County School District principal Chad Hicks: $292,359.
- Carson City fire captain Matthew Donnelly: $288,970
Carson City fire captain triples salary with OT, benefits
The tenth highest paid Northern Nevada government worker, excluding the University and hospital systems, was Carson City fire captain Matthew Donnelly. Despite a posted maximum salary of $87,300, Donnelly received $288,970 in compensation last year, boosted in large part by an $110,217 overtime (OT) payout — the 7th largest OT payout of the more than 130,000 state and local Nevada government workers surveyed last year.
The disparity between posted salary schedules and the total compensation actually received by government workers is one reason why Transparent Nevada is so important, according to NPRI transparency director Robert Fellner.
“TransparentNevada.com provides taxpayers with a complete accounting of the costs they are required to pay for.”
After Donnelly’s $110,217 OT payout, the next highest OT payouts received by Northern Nevada government workers went to:
- An unnamed Washoe County deputy sheriff: $86,150.
- Truckee Meadows Water Authority water plant operator III Jeremy Keele: $78,655.
- Truckee Meadows-Sierra Fire Protection firefighter Kyle Endres: $73,616.
- Truckee Meadows-Sierra Fire Protection fire captain Scott Stephenson: $68,986.
- Washoe County sergeant Frank Eubanks: $68,316.
- Truckee Meadows Water Authority water plant operator III Jimmie Winters: $66,518.
- Carson City driver operator Raffi Attashian: $66,026.
- Truckee Meadows Water Authority foreman Tim Flanagan: $64,830.
- Truckee Meadows Water Authority water plant operator III Michael Nevarez: $64,705.
To view the entire dataset in a searchable and downloadable format, please visit TransparentNevada.com.
Total compensation is defined as total wages plus the employer-cost of health and retirement benefits.
For more information or to schedule an interview with NPRI, please contact Robert Fellner at 702-222-0642 or RF@npri.org.