Bundy’s situation is merely the latest flashpoint in a growing resentment across the American West of the federal government’s presumptuous and frequently abusive administration of the land. In Nevada, where federal authorities control 87 percent of the land — leaving the people only 13 percent — public resentment toward the federal land imperium is pervasive and bipartisan.
Albert Shanker, the late president of the American Federation of Teachers union, explained the fundamental problem with public schools: Without competition, there’s no incentive for schools to improve.
Long-term success often requires rejecting unsound and merely short-term gains. Recognizing that principle, America’s Founders constructed a system focused on long-term success, and we all today are still enjoying the fruits of their wisdom.
According to a new study by the American Enterprise Institute, the average full-career public employee in Nevada who retired in 2011 or 2012 will become a “pension millionaire” — someone who receives a million dollars or more in retirement. On average, public retirees in the Silver State receive gold-plated pensions worth $1.33 million. And this doesn’t account for the tens of thousands of dollars in health-care benefits that many retirees receive.
A municipal bankruptcy statute is urgently needed to allow North Las Vegas to re-emerge from its current state of prolonged insolvency. Few things should warrant a special session of the legislature, but the pressing need for a municipal bankruptcy statute is one.
For every ribbon-cutting held to announce a government-chosen “winner,” there are numerous government-created losers in the shadows.
Las Vegas Metro and Henderson police want more money, but they don’t want taxpayers to see where their current funds are going. In honor of Sunshine Week, NPRI's researcher gives readers an inside look on obtaining public information from some agencies.
History has shown that when government subsidizes businesses, not only do the favored corporations tend to lose, so do taxpayers and legitimate businesses. Yet, that’s exactly what the City of Las Vegas is considering doing in possibly subsidizing a downtown sports arena.
In 2011, under the guise of “economic development,” state lawmakers created the Catalyst Fund, administered by the Governor’s Office of Economic Development, to provide up to $10 million in state tax dollars to private businesses. In response, NPRI’s Center for Justice and Constitutional Litigation has just filed a lawsuit charging that the Catalyst Fund violates Article 8, Sections 9 and 10 of the state constitution.
Total Records: 813
|next 10 »|