Nevada Policy Research Institute, et al. v. CCSD, et al.
Nevada Supreme Court to hear NPRI's appeal in Open Meeting Law case
The Nevada Supreme Court will hear, on an expedited basis, an appeal filed by NPRI's Center for Justice and Constitutional Litigation. The appeal challenges a recent lower court decision and seeks to uphold the state’s Open Meeting Law.
The prehearing conference — essentially oral argument — before the entire Supreme Court will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012, at 11:30 a.m. on the 17th floor of the Las Vegas Regional Justice Center.
The Clark County Regional Debt Management Commission did not provide a public comment period before approving CCSD’s $669 million property-tax-increase proposal for the fall ballot, which is a violation of Nevada’s Open Meeting Law, and the law declares that action "void."
- Press release: Nevada Supreme Court to hear NPRI’s appeal of complaint on Open Meeting Law violation
- Supreme Court Order Resolving Motion, Directing Expedited Transmission of District Court Record, and Setting Prehearing Conference
- CJCL's Emergency Petition for Writ of Mandamus
- Complete Writ Exhibits
- NPRI President Andy Matthews details the case arguments
- Listen for yourself: Audio of the Debt Management Commission’s June 7 meeting
- Press release: Court date for NPRI motion for preliminary injunction moved to Monday
- Press release: Judge grants hearing on injunction against tax-increase proposal
- CJCL Motion for Preliminary Injunction
- Press release: NPRI files Open Meeting Law violation complaint against CCSD and county debt-management panel
- Complaint: Nevada Policy Research Institute, et al. v. CCSD, et al.