Nevada Policy is seeking bold ideas. This is not your father’s think tank.
Nevada Policy’s mission is to effectively promote policies that encourage free-market solutions, protect individual liberties, and eliminate unnecessary governmental restrictions on the citizens and businesses of Nevada.
To accomplish this mission, we:
• Use fact-based information to create policy and to educate the public.
• Analyze legislation, regulation, and litigation to inform citizens of Nevada about intended and unintended consequences.
• Leverage social and public media to inform current and future citizens of Nevada.
• Collaborate with other like-minded organizations to leverage freedom promoting policies and laws.
• Advocate for policies that unleash the creative power of free markets and free people.
• Concentrate our work on areas that have a profound impact on the freedoms of Nevadans: state budgetary concerns, school choice, taxation, criminal justice reform, and transparency in government.
About the Role
Nevada Policy seeks a Director of Policy Initiatives who understands the country and Nevada are at a critical turning point. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has a passion for public policy that promotes free markets, a demonstrated success in building and working with coalitions, and experience working with state legislatures. The right person for this role will be a strategic thinker, exceptional communicator, and have a track record of managing complex projects.
The Director of Policy Initiatives position is primarily a management role, not a research position. The Director of Policy Initiatives will manage subcontractors and scholars who will handle most of the research and writing. The Director of Policy Initiatives will have a passion for communicating policy ideas to a range of audiences. The ideal candidate will have a background in policy research or communications in a public policy setting. The role requires someone dedicated to helping Nevada advance crucial policy reforms, partnering with those organizations to support their efforts, and helping them succeed. The ideal candidate will have the ability to develop strategies while managing people and projects in a fast-paced environment. The Director of Policy Initiatives will report to the President. The position requires someone to be in Nevada and can work from our office in Las Vegas or virtually within Nevada. Travel will be minimal but might be up to 4 times a year, within Nevada.
· Be comfortable managing, coordinating, and directing staff, interns, outside consultants, volunteers, and freelancers.
· Coordinate, write, edit, and publish about various free-market policies
· Assist in planning and executing the communication component for policy campaigns
· React to current news with urgency as issues arise
· Create an image and maintain a tone around Nevada Policy’s main policy pillars
· Seek out the best policy reforms, share best practices and coordinate the strategies for implementation.
· Coordinate with the Communications Director this overall strategy
· 5+ years of professional experience in a public policy setting that involved writing (communications, policy, development, program management, etc.)
· Strong project and people management skills
· Excellent written communication skills
· Ability to edit and direct other’s work
· Ability to collaborate effectively and efficiently with other members of Nevada Policy
· Time management and organizational skills
· Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
· An entrepreneurial mindset and the willingness to challenge the status quo
· Self-directed and unrelenting work ethic, capable of delivering without being micro-managed
· Passion for Nevada Policy’s mission
· Familiarity with state-based organizations and the state legislative process
· Working knowledge of MS Office a plus
· Public speaking skills a plus
· This position requires someone living in Nevada and working in office, hybrid or remote
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
• Cover letter detailing your interest in this position and Nevada Policy’s mission, as well as your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.